Kemper County Historical Museum
Open by appointment only, this former warehouse has been converted into a museum celebrating the past. The Museum includes artifacts from the life and times of Senator John C. Stennis, one of the longest serving senators in U.S. history.
For more information contact the
Kemper County Chamber of Commerce
(601)743-5059 – Fax
Spring Hill Church
With a long history as a stage coach stop, this area once supported an inn for travelers. An advertisement in a Jackson newspaper in 1847 claimed that a four horse, six passenger coach could make the trip from Jackson, Mississippi, to Greensboro, Alabama, a distance of about 150 miles, in 52 hours for a fare of $17.00, not including the cost of stop-overs at inns such as Chapel Hill. Founded in 1874 as Narkeeta Chapel, the current church was built in 1890 using the timbers of the old inn or hotel which apparently had been abandoned during the Civil War. Renamed Chapel Hill Methodist Church, the exterior walls placed over old walls over the last century have created a building with at least four walls inside the present two walls. The cemetery contains all eleven children of the Parmer family, the original owners of the property. A peaceful and picturesque cemetery, ancient oak trees, and a reconstruction of the original log Narketta Chapel and School add to the feeling that you have stepped into the past. Services are held at the church on the second and fourth Sundays of each month at 11:00 a.m.
12261 Firetower Road, Porterville, MS 39352
Kemper County Courthouse
Veteran’s Memorial Engraved Walkway
Located on the beautifully landscaped grounds of the historic Kemper County Courthouse in DeKalb, the Veteran’s Memorial is a project of the Kemper County Chamber of Commerce. The original idea came from a similar memorial in Picayune, Mississippi. Engineering Plus of Meridian, Mississippi, volunteered to design the layout of the memorial and surrounding grounds, and local governments and volunteers did the actual work in preparation for the brick. The Mississippi Forestry Commission awarded Kemper County a matching grant to help with the landscaping. Engraved brick were first offered to the public in March of 1991 for a cost of $50.00 per brick. The fifty dollars covers the cost of the brick, the engraving process, and the laying of the brick. Individuals and families determine the wording on the bricks, but the majority of the bricks contain the name, rank, branch of service, war, and period of service of the veteran. The first part of the memorial was dedicated on July 3, 1993, and the second part of the memorial was dedicated on July 4, 1994. Other parts of the memorial will be dedicated in the future, and there are no plans to refuse orders of engraved brick. The maintenance on the memorial and grounds is done by volunteers from the Kemper County Women’s Civic League. The brick are fired from Kemper County clay and are among the hardest and heaviest brick every produced by Boral Bricks of Macon, Mississippi. To purchase a brick – contact the Kemper County Chamber of Commerce (601)743-5059 or (601)743-5060.